What are the Best Roofing Materials for Michigan Homeowners?
January 4, 2023
Let’s explore the best roofing materials available to homeowners in Michigan. Most American homes have roofs composed of asphalt shingles, metal, slate or tile. There are other material options, but we’ll cover the ones you’ll encounter most often in Michigan.
Today’s Most Popular Roofing Materials
- Asphalt Shingles
- There are multiple ways to put together a shingle system, including three-tab shingles, architectural shingles, and fiberglass shingles. Nowadays, manufacturers like GAF make them so much more durable, they don’t fall off as fast, and there are numerous color schemes to make your house look fantastic.
- Metal costs a lot more, but it’s the go-to approach if you want something super durable. Metal roofs can last anywhere between 40 to 70 years, so once you buy it, you may never have to replace a roof ever again.
- Tile roofs are also expensive, but also last a long time. Tile materials are rather diverse, too. You can get a new roof with clay, concrete, metal, and even solar tiles (to name a few). Of course, part of the drawback is that these can break and create lots of maintenance effort.
- Slate is another substance you can use to tile your roof. They’re sturdy and aesthetic, but they’re much heavier than shingles, which can put a lot of pressure on the rest of the structure. They also take much longer to install because of all the weight.
Are Asphalt Shingles the Best Roofing Materials?
Asphalt shingles are what Rapid Roofing installs most often. This is for a good reason because they’re reliable, look fantastic, and you’re in good company if you go this route because they’re on the majority of American homes.
Consider this short list of outstanding benefits to installing a new shingle system.
- Shingles are the most cost-effective option.
- They help with home energy efficiency, which is so important with the cold winters we have in Michigan.
- The better shingle brands are fire resistant, can withstand winds up to 130 mph, and are easy to replace if they crack or come loose.
- You have plenty of brand options, including GAF, CertainTeed, Owens Corning, and others.
- Rapid Roofing can install shingles within a single day most of the time.
- Unlike metal roofs, which magnify the noise during rainstorms, asphalt shingles do a terrific job of muffling exterior noises.
Don’t Forget Roofing Accessories like Flashing
Of course, there’s more to roofing than just the shingles or metal. You can’t hold a sturdy roof together without reliable roof flashing.
That’s the stuff that secures the roof along the grooves and joints. It’s essential if you want to avoid water intrusion. When it rains, sleets, or snows, those grooves are the most vulnerable points, so it’s important to have strong stainless steel flashing to cover all the weak spots.
While we’re discussing roofing material accessories, make sure your roof has adequate soffits, downspouts, and drainage gutters. The good news is that if you aren’t sure, you can always contact Rapid Roofing for a 17-point roof inspection. That service is a wise investment that could save you a fortune by detecting problems before they worsen.
Rapid Roofing Installs Only the Best Roofing Materials
So, for inspections, repairs, and new roof replacements, call the pros at Rapid Roofing. Our service range includes everything around Detroit along with Canton, Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and numerous other locations.
Before deciding on a roofing contractor, we invite you to research our credentials a little further. If you check our website, you’ll notice we have over 1,000 testimonials (4.9/5.0 rating), good-standing membership with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and several manufacturer endorsements. That proves you can trust us with a major roof renovation.
Contact us anytime for more information on the best roofing materials for every residential roofing project.