The Risks of Hiring Unqualified Roofing Contractors
November 13, 2023
Hiring someone for your roof can be challenging, especially when there are a lot of roofing contractors to choose from.
It’s especially important to do your research when you’re looking for someone to help with your roof. Working with the wrong contractor can cause a ton of problems down the line, from unexpected delays all the way to fees and fines or an incomplete job.
Here are the risks you need to be aware of:
The Dangers of Working with Unqualified Roofing Contractors
Working with the wrong contractor can be a nightmare on its own. Unfortunately, working with someone who isn’t properly experienced and licensed can have a lot of other consequences, too.
- Hiring the Wrong Contractor Can Come With Fines: some states require that all roofing contractors have a license for their services. Hiring an unlicensed contractor doesn’t just mean that you won’t get the quality service you deserve, it can also mean that you’ll be fined by the state.
- Improper Installation Leads To Big Expenses Later: One of the reasons states often require licensing is that roof installation is complicated, and doing it wrong can cause a lot of problems. Since that means more repairs later on, improper installation is more expensive, too.
- No Warranties: A typical roof installation also comes with a warranty from the contractor that they will fix any problems within a certain period after the installation. Shoddy contractors won’t offer warranties, so you won’t be covered when the problems start.
- You May Not Get Insurance Benefits On Your Roof: Especially if you discover that your contractor wasn’t licensed, that can be grounds for your homeowners’ insurance to deny coverage for necessary repairs or even roof replacement. Either way, that leaves you on the hook for an expensive service with no help.
- Potential Liability If Someone Is Hurt: Another big issue with working with the wrong contractor is they may not have the right liability and injury insurance for themselves and anyone on their team. Unfortunately, that means that if someone does get hurt while installing or repairing your roof, you might be found liable for their injuries.
There are a ton of reasons to make sure you’re working with a reliable contractor before moving forward with any roofing job. Avoiding problems is only a part of it.
Advantages Of Choosing Skilled Roofing Contractors
Working with the right contractor comes with as many advantages as working with the wrong contractor has disadvantages.
- Better Quality Work: The most important difference is that your roof will be better quality, more durable, and use better materials when you work with a skilled contractor.
- Warranties: Most skilled contractors in the roofing industry offer some kind of warranty on their chosen materials and workmanship.
- Better Experience: Having work done on your roof can be a pain. Working with skilled contractors can help make the process faster and easier, keeping life disruptions to a minimum in the meantime.
Choose A Contractor With Experience In Your Roofing Materials
One of the qualities you should be looking for in a contractor is someone who already has experience with your chosen roofing materials. A roof repair on a shingle roof looks a lot different than a repair on a metal roof, or a tiled or slate roof.
Look for someone confident working with the materials you already have or have chosen for a replacement. If possible, work with the same contractor that installed the roof in the first place! Assuming you like their work, of course.
Time For A Roof Upgrade?
Whether you’re looking for a roof repair or to install an entirely new roof on your home, we can help.
Contact us to schedule a free inspection or consultation, and see the difference skilled Rapid Roofing roofing contractors can make!