5 Ways You Can Prepare Your Home for Summer Storms
June 25, 2019
When you hear the word summer, it’s likely that the first thing that pops in your mind is a trip to the beach with family or friends. Basically, anything and everything you can do on a warm sunny day. While this may be the case for most days, the reality is that thunderstorms are still common in the summer.
This is why it’s important that your home is prepared for them
- Clean Your Gutters– Since summer storms can get strong, it’s best you keep water away from your house as much as possible. The best way to accomplish this is with your gutters. Remove leaves and debris from your gutters so water can freely flow away from your home.
- Generators – Strong summer storms can cause power in your home to go out. If you have a generator, you can use it as an alternative power source, but it’s important that you know how to safely handle that generator and keep it a few feet away from your home. Hire a licensed electrician to wire and install it to make sure it’s properly grounded.
- Know Your Insurance Coverage – In the event the storm damages your roof or siding, insurance can be a big help. With your insurance payout, you can finance your roofing or siding installation in case of storm damage.
- Protect Your Appliances – Electric appliances can be damaged due to the sudden surge of energy. To prevent this from happening, consider having a whole-home surge protector installed in your electrical panel.
- Trim Your Trees – Damage from overgrown tree limbs and branches is the leading cause of roofing and siding repair. With that in mind, have your trees trimmed before a summer storm even arrives to minimize or prevent any damage.
Turn to Rapid Roofing for your home improvement needs. We are your number one provider of roof replacement services. Give us a call at (734) 234-5900, or fill out our contact form to request a free quote. We serve homeowners in Ann Arbor, MI, and other nearby areas.